Tuesday 26 May 2015

Still there?

Time to end the longest hiatus since I started blogging 3 years ago! The clue is in the name; racing is fundamental to Ben Races Bikes. British Cycling's decision to axe the Masters category took any incentive out of attending the Southern XC Series.  Along with the postponement of the Erlestoke 12 I've been left with a hole in the event calendar. So there haven't been any race reports to write for a while.

Spending my cycling budget for the next decade on the a second new bike in 12 months has also meant I haven't been buying many new bits and bobs to review for you lately either!

View south to the coast from the Downs
Dirty commuting!

I haven't been sitting at home twiddling my thumbs though, I have been making the most of dry dusty bridleways both on the way too and from work. It has been hugely rewarding waking up early, hitting the trails and being up on the Downs while the sun is still low in the sky.


The early starts have resulted in me racking up the highest number of miles in May since records began. (which is 1994 by the way!) I keep reminding myself that this time last year I was laid up after smearing my face down the asphalt at Dunsfold. 

At the weekends I have been focused on longer 4 -5 hour mtb training rides in preparation for the summer enduros. The result of all the off-road miles is a vertiginous April and May. How do I know? Strava.

I subscribe to the 'If it isn't on Strava; it didn't happen' train of thought! With the break in racing Strava has provided an outlet for my competitive attitude. Currently I hold 24 KOM records which is two or three times more than the majority of the past three years since I first logged in. Although I expect that going public will result in a flurry of activity that result in me being empty handed by the end of the week! 
All the stats can be found on Strava

 

No comments:

Post a Comment