Sunday 3 May 2015

Kawasaki G100 - Two seasons in one day!

The persistant drizzle turned to torrential rain just as the shivering riders gathered under the start banner for the Kawasaki G100. 7 laps of the 9 mile course lay ahead, by which time the sun would be out and family and friends would be sitting picnicing on the grass.

The first mile was a mad panic as riders charged off like we were racing down to the shops, oblivious it seemed to the challenge ahead. I let them flood past knowing that I would see many of them later! Trouble was some were out of their depth as soon as the trail turned even slightly technical and battling back through was frustrating.

After several bone dry weeks the rain created a slippery surface sludge that made every corner a battle for grip and control. However, the rain soon stopped and at the end of the 2nd lap I wrestled out of my waterproof like some kind of Mr Bean comedy sketch. The track quickly dried without a hint of mud and sections that had been like negotiating an ice rink became grippy, fast and flowing.

I had a plan for taking on supplies which unusually I stuck too. Every 2nd lap I swapped in a new bottle and grabbed a Go Bar and banana which I slurped and munched whenever the opportunity arose.

For  three laps I rode with a couple of riders, but on lap four I moved to the front of the little group and started to pull away. I was worried I was burning my bridges too early, but having forced a gap I was determined to stay away.

Laps 5 & 6 were the hardest both physically and mentally. Fatigue was setting in, the body was screaming and I was aware I was making bad line choices, bouncing through obstacles instead of riding over them. Lap 7 was in many ways a relief. You don't have to pace yourself any longer, or perserve energy on the climbs. Instead you can push hard and leave every ounce of energy out on the trail.

With about 2 miles to go I passed a Banjo Cycles rider pumping up his tyre. He saw me approach and I could sense his frustration. He finished pumping and madly started packing everything into his pockets. I rode past and glanced over my shoulder to see he was back up and running and I knew he wanted his position back. I rode the two final climbs out of the saddle and hit the final doubled track in full aero tuck! I crossed the line in 6 hours 21 minutes and 44 seconds. 23rd place might not be my best Gorrick 100 result, but in the previous seven attempts I have never finished so strongly, so can take many positives from that.

Usually before the Gorrick 100 I'll have ridden several long 4 hour plus rides during the preceeding weeks. This hasn't happened this year. Coupled with the fact that I had not ridden this far, or for so long in 3 years, I knew I was in for a tough time. I hope to use today's race as a stepping stone to further marathon races over the summer.


The reward for over 6hrs and 20min in the saddle!


No comments:

Post a Comment