Thursday 11 August 2022

Farewell old friend

I love my Stumpjumper Hard Tail. Even after 12 years, if I'm riding on my own she is still the bike I'll choose. I've tried to replace her twice, but she's out lasted both replacements. She's the bike which is guaranteed to put a smile on my face every time I ride her.

She's not the best bike I've owned, or the one on which I've had my best results, or completed my most epic ride. But we have spent more time together than any of my other two wheeled companions. From day one she fitted like a glove; light, fast and nimble she has been my perfect two wheeled partner.

Only the frame and the the front wheel remain of the original build from 2011. Back then parts for 29ers were hard to come by, in a world still dominated by what now seem like the comically small wheels we'd all been happily riding since the 1980's. At her first race I only saw one other 29er at the entire event. Imagine the ridicule of turning up on a 26er 'kids bike' at a race now a days! 

She had a special start. In 2010 I arranged a trip to New York for my wife and I just to pick her up. Specialized had decided that 29ers were too forward thinking for us Luddites in the UK.

She instantly transformed my race results. It wasn't just because of the advantage that the larger wheels gave me, also psychologically it was the first time I'd had a top end bike and I really felt like I had a secret weapon as I towered over the opposition and their tiny wheels on the start line.

                                                    An early race outing at the Gorrick 100 in 2011.

After a few years as my race bike, she became my training bike, clocking up more miles than any other MTB I've owned. There was a stint as a commuter, which is when she got the rigid fork and that is how I like her best. The ride is so pure. Lean on the pedals and she leaps forward in response, urging me on, the ride quality actually pretty forgiving in the rough stuff. The excellently hidden external cable routing means maintenance is so much easier than her modern counterparts. Every time I'm trying to thread a cable or brake hose around the inside of a bottom bracket shell I wonder why all bikes aren't still like her.

Sadly though it is time for her to finally be retired. We've had the best time together and who's to say I won't build her up again, but right now the supply of hand-me-down components that fit her skinny non-boost, open drop out rear end and worn out press-fit bottom bracket shell are drying up. Bye Stumpy, it's been a blast!




No comments:

Post a Comment