Monday 25 November 2019

Racing Myself - Solo Training Ride


I was Billy no mates on Sunday! With no cycling buddies to hook up with I took the opportunity to leave the house bright and early. 3 hours later when I pulled up sweaty and mud splattered outside my house, the Garmin read exactly 50.00 miles! I had set out with a route in mind based around the classic South Downs climbs of Harting, Bexley & Duncton, but definitely hadn’t planned it with a 2 decimal points attention to detail.

During the 45min ride north towards Harting I noticed my average speed was approaching 17mph. This isn’t unusual or amazingly fast, but it became a target to try and maintain my pace to the base of the first climb of Harting Hill. As the road rose up into the mist and low cloud, my speed dropped and I fully expected to say goodbye to a 17mph average for the remainder of the ride. I had plunged down through the murk and raced through the sleeping village at the bottom of the hill before I looked down at my Garmin again and was surprised to notice Aver: 16.9mph. 

It was a challenge that came out of nowhere but I was now hooked on the magic number of 17! I popped out of the saddle on every short incline in the road, and tried to hold a steady power on the relatively flat run into Midhurst. Despite the grotty mud strewn roads I reached Easebourne and the bottom of Bexley Hill with the average now reading 17.6mph. Even with a large margin in hand, as I approached 1 hour 30 min ride time I definitely didn’t expect to hold the 17mph average over such a long drawn out climb.

Approaching from the south the hill grinds upwards at a steady and relentless gradient. As I spun away at the pedals I occasionally glanced down at the handlebars, 17.5…17.4….17.3 down to 17.2. As I approached the crest I was out of the saddle pushing a big gear over the top. No time to stop (in the mist there was no view to admire anyway) instead I headed straight down the wet and slippery 20% decent. The twists and turns mean there isn’t any chance to release the brakes and let the bike go. I edged down cautiously my fingers griping the brakes. Adding to the perils water flowed down the tarmac, washing stones and grit out of the verge and making the corners more hazardous. It wasn’t until I’d safely reached the bottom that I was able to take a breather and pull an energy bar from my jersey pocket as I turned south and started heading homewards.

The undulating lanes around Selham and Graffham that lead through to Duncton meant repeated short efforts were needed to maintain momentum and I could feel it was beginning to take a toll on my legs. Duncton, the final big climb of the day, is a steep diagonal slope up the north side of the Downs. It’s made more challenging because the half a mile leading into the hill is also a subtle upward gradient. My legs were getting tired by now so I didn’t exactly dance on the pedals and by the top I was down to a 16.6mph average.

There is only a brief drop before I turned along the valley into a pronounced head wind. I kept my head down and the power on the pedals tickling the average up to 16.7 by the base of the final recongnisable climb of the day up to Benges. Out of the saddle I burnt the final matches I had remaining with a big effort.

From there it was now an 8 mile blast home, with downward glances at the Garmin to see how I was doing against my self created target. At Tangmere I had to cross the pedestrian bridge over the A27. I whizzed up and down the zig zags as fast as I could. 17mph for the entire ride was not a certainty yet. Once I cleared the bridge I had the final 4 mile flat run home. I kept the pace above 20mph on familiar roads, dodging the pot holes and Sunday drivers. I slammed on the brakes at my front gate having not stopped for the entire 50 mile ride. I'd averaged 17.2mph.

The totally unplanned 17mph challenge transformed my training ride. I’ve averaged more than this before on rides even more challenging, but it provided the focus and motivation that kept me pushing on when a Sunday ride on my own could have become a weekend cruise.

No comments:

Post a Comment