Friday 15 November 2019

Racing down memory lane!


While clearing out the loft last weekend I found a box of old cycling trophies. As I lifted out each one it brought back so many happy memories! 

My first win, way back in 2007 at Goodwood. My moment of glory stolen by a rider who cut the course and was eventually disqualified.

3rd in the team event at the 24hr Mountain Mayhem race. I'm still stoked that I was lucky enough to bag the sunrise lap.

2nd at "Are You Tough Enough" which I still think is my best ever race. I spent 4 hours fighting in the top 3 for a podium spot only to fall on the final lap while leading. I dropped to 4th when the onset of cramp meant I couldn't get up and back on the bike! Eventually I recovered and hauled myself back onto the podium with a massive effort, passing two  riders in the final mile of racing.

My first Gorrick top 10. Yes, thats right I got a trophy for 10th! Back then the top 10% of finishers took home a cup and on that particular day there was a field of over 120 riders. The glory days of XC racing! Makes the field of 40 old timers I raced the other week seem tame in comparison!

My first Gorrick win. A few years ago now, but I can still clearly remember that final lap and the disbelief I felt thinking to myself I was actually going to do it! After years and years of training and racing. That and the overarching fear of waiting for something on the bike to break!

All this nostalgia made me want to get out and race again, but also challenge at the front again. Which is not something I really achieved this year. Roll on 2020!


No comments:

Post a Comment