Saturday 17 February 2024

Taking a break

In my previous post I talked about targeting the 4 hour category at the final round of the Brass Monkeys series. A few days later the reality of my current health sank in. Now isn't the time to be trying to stretch or push myself.  I am currently totally exhausted as I try to recover my health. The stress of a race was actually the last thing I needed to put myself through. In the end the decision to miss the race was actually a really easy one to make. 

After a few weeks of trying, and failing, to get back to a decent training schedule I've stepped back. I'm riding when I feel I have the energy reserves, keeping outings short and local, taking care not to push myself. 

Cycling has always been a form of therapy for me and how I relax. Now more than ever this is the focus of my rides. I've spent some money building the fully rigid hardtail back up. I enjoy the purity of this sort of riding and the rigid fork slows the pace so I just enjoy the countryside and the company. 

After years of pushing myself to hit training targets and riding every day it hasn't always been easy to sit back and let the days go past without getting in the saddle. In the long run I know it is the best route to recovery.




No comments:

Post a Comment