Monday 17 October 2016

Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Comp 6Fattie 27.5"

You can't avoid the current avalanche of publicity surrounding E-bikes. All the major brands are clambering onboard and releasing their own battery powered machines. These aren't just racked and mud guarded commuter rides either. Specialized for example recently introduced their off-road E-bikes - the Levo range.

Turbo Levo FSR Comp 6Fattie


I popped my E-bike cherry a few weeks ago when I attended the Cycle Show. Much to my own surprise I had a great time railing around the short indoor track at the NEC, but it was a novelty and not really representative of the real world.

My chance to actually experience E-biking out on local trails came when I heard that Specialized were running a Levo demo day just 15 minutes up the road at QE Country Park in Hampshire. I was first in the queue on a sunny Autumn day and was quickly astride a Turbo Levo FSR with 3in tyres and 135mm of full squish from the rear shock. The fit was all dialled in using the clever autosag feature, the power was turned on and I was off!

I cruised along the first section of slightly uphill bridleway. The motor providing some nice gentle assistance, but it wasn't until we hit the first switch back of the climb proper that I noticed the punch provided by the battery. The more torque you yourself apply to the pedals the more power the battery provides. I literally surged up the hill! On the downhills despite the unfamiliar bike the Ground Control and Purgatory tyres provided all the confidence you could need on the all weather surface.

After a couple of laps of the blue route with some of the red trail thrown in I swapped back to my own hard tail bike for a comparison.

On the gravel fireroad there was no obvious difference and interestingly looking at Strava the times for the steep switchback climb were also fairly equivalent. Although I suspect I was putting in more effort to maintain the same rate of progress the ultimate pace was limited by the terrain and the corners. The REALLY standout difference was the decents. The Levo decended like a stone in comparison to my more familiar Stumpjumper HT.

Riders line up at QE Country Park for the Specialized demo day.

So what do I take from my morning with the Levo?

  • Firstly the E-bike enables you to maintain a higher pace for less effort. Making it suitable for older / injured or less fit riders wanting to enjoy a morning on the trails with their younger/fitter buddies.

  • Secondly the battery power enables you to ride a 'bigger' more 'technical' bike up the climbs. This means you can enjoy the benefits of the longer suspension and the extra grip of fatter tyres on the descents.

  • The big negative is obviously the weight. I didn't have the strength to even pop the front wheel over roots. I'd imagine lifting the beast into a car or onto a cycle rack would be quite a challenge.

I'd like to ride more E-bikes for a proper comparison. The E-bikes from Cube and Haibike I rode at the NEC Cycle Show seemed more 'eager' than the Levo, which felt slightly sedate when the power came on. Perhaps the Levo is more 'natural', but does this take away some of the fun?

One thing I will say about the Levo is how well integrated the design is. It doesn't look like a normal bike with a battery bolted onto the downtube as many I have seen do. Except for the green power light you might not even notice it was an E-bike as it flashes past on the trail.

For me the battery assist is a gimmick I don't need at the moment, but I can see others might benefit from. The total revelation for me was the 3in tyres! Switching back to my bike I realised how I had been completely ignoring the roots riding the Levo. My Rocket Ron 2.25 suddenly felt skinny and utterly inadequate. I was noticeably slower on my own bike as I had to pick a line around obstacles, the tyres scrabbling for grip as I leant the bike into the bends. So perhaps what I need a Fattie bike?


 


No comments:

Post a Comment