Monday 4 July 2016

Choosing Tyres for Grand Raid

Tyre selection for the 125km race across the Swiss alps has been playing on my mind ever since I filled in the entry form. 

Initial thoughts turn to choosing something robust to survive a day in the mountains and minimise the time spent at the side of the trail. But the extra material required to strengthen a tyre means increasing rotational mass. Every gram will have to be dragged over 5000m of mountain climbs, so a lower weight is a significant benefit.

Then there is the Alpine weather to consider.  Obviously I am expecting blue sky's, stunning views and dusty trails! Realistically there is every chance of rain any time of the year in the mountains - maybe even snow! A tyre with low rolling resistance will help reduce the effort over a long day in the saddle, but isn't going to find traction in mud or gloop.

So in summary I'm looking for the perfect tyre in all conditons! Tough, lightweight, smooth rolling and grip in muddy conditions. If any manufacturer could nail that combination they would have the market sewn up! So instead my choice required comprimise. 

Options were Schwalbe Rocket Rons and Racing Ralphs. Both come with snakeskin sidewalls to reduce the chances of cuts and punctures. The Rocket Rons have a bit more tread compared to the Ralphs lower profile knobs.The Continental Race King offers low rolling resistance and robust options, but is a bit heavier than the competition. Finally there is the Specialized Fast Trak, a semi low profile tyre with a thicker Control casing.

I've spent weeks agonising and comparing specs and weights. I've even got as far as placing tyres in my online shopping basket, but didn't commit. So what was my final decision? After all the toing a froing I've ended up with what I already had on the bike! Reason: Better the devil you know when stepping into the unknown.

I've been running the Rocket Ron 2.25 upfront for several years. Its a nice predicatble tyre which deals with muddier conditions, but still rolls well enough in the dry. I will opt for the Snakeskin sidewalls for extra protection. 


At the back it's the tried and tested 2.0 Fast Trak Control. It rolls well with minimal resistance and I've raced it through the UK winter so it should survive an Alpine summer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment