Wednesday 15 June 2016

Specialized Prevail v Giro Synthe Review

My failure to spot a low hanging branch meant it was time to invest in a new helmet. I’ve been riding various Specialized helmets over the past 10 years, the highlight being my old S3 which fitted my bonce perfectly. However, the dented Prevail (my second) hadn’t ever been quite as comfortable. With this in mind and a voucher code in hand I opted to skip Specialized’s excellent great crash replacement scheme, which I have had the misfortune to use several times. Instead I opted for a Giro Synthe from Chainreaction Cycles.

I'll admit to a bit of showrooming. I tried a few helmets on at a local shop to gauge the fit and size before ordering the Synthe. Giro advertise the helmet as general purpose semi-aero design. I thought I would do a direct comparison between my old Prevail and the Synthe, as both are top level helmets frequently seen in the pro peleton.


Weight: Winner Prevail

The Synthe is still impressively light, but is 10% heavier than the Prevail. When I first put it on I thought I could feel a difference, but once out on the road you’d be hard pushed to notice the 20g.

My medium Prevail is 203g
My medium Synthe is 223g

Profile: Winner Synthe
The Synthe is noticeably more compact, which Giro claim offers an aerodynamic advantage. I’m not sure I can notice this when riding normally, but struggling with a 40mph gusty headwind the other day it definitely felt like there was less force tugging at my head.


Synthe
Prevail
 Cooling: Winner Prevail
I guess the Synthe has to sacrifice something for the tighter profile. It is hardly noticeable in normal conditions, but I could sense there was slightly less air flow over my head. However, it wasn’t enough to really distract me, both helmets are extremely well vented.

Comfort: Winner Synthe
Fit is a subjective thing and what I find comfortable might be another mans torture. However, I have always struggled with the Prevail. I’ve adjusted the brace at the back up and down (a feature the Synthe doesn’t have), but I always got hot spots at the back and front of my head. The main outer of the Synthe floats above your head which is held by the plastic harness.

Use: Dead heat!
Both helmets have a similar closure system, with a dial at the back to adjust the fit. As already mentioned the Specialized allows you to adjust the height of the rear brace. However, the straps come set to length so you can’t adjust the joint under the ears. I found this can cause the straps to flap in the breeze. The Synthe also has parking ports for glasses which are great on sweaty climbs. They seem to hold both of my riding glasses snuggly.

So on paper there isn’t much between these two cycling hats! A lot depends on comfort and how they fit the individual, but all being equal it will depend if you do lots of climbing in hot weather or spend your time in the saddle head down into a cool breeze.


For me this is a rare case where I am willing to sacrifice a few grams for the relief of a better fit. Here in the UK the temperature is seldom a big deal and the aero advantages might pay off now and again.


4 comments:

  1. In terms of noise I found the straps of the Prevail could flap in the breeze creating a distraction. The straps can be adjusted on the Synthe to eliminate this problem. Other than that I haven't noticed any general noise caused by airflow through the helmet itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thannks for this great article about Specialized Helmets. But In terms of noise I found the straps of the Prevail could flap in the breeze creating a distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An possibility that you have the Profile rating backwards? From the images you posted, it appears that the Prevail is, by far, the more compact design on your head. Thanks for the review, great work!

    ReplyDelete