Monday 17 March 2014

Traffic Report! Southern XC Round 1

Sunday was a stunning day and the first ride of 2014 in shorts! The skies were clear, the sun was warm on my back, it could have been August. The beautiful Spring weather drew a mammoth entry for the first round of the Southern XC Series, at Wasing near Reading.

The course was flat and fast, the trails criss-crossed by a tangled network of roots. Luckily it was dry and riders could just clatter over the woody speed bumps. The large entry meant lots of spectators too, families making a day of it, deck chairs and picnic rugs spread out in the sun. It really made for a great atmosphere.



Based on last years results I wasn't gridded, which was bad news given the huge field. I lined up on the 7th row with a sea of 50 riders stretching out ahead of me. I dodged past a few on the first fireroad climb, but repeatedly got boxed in, and then had to slow as the pack slipped, single file into the wood. Now bouncing around on the roots it was even harder to make headway, the serpentine trails never really opening up to offer an easy passing opportunity. I made what could best be described as steady progress into the top 40 by the end of the first lap.

There were three technical sections during the lap, but my courage had deserted me. (Too many wimpy miles training on the road this winter.) So in the end I was taking the B-line at all three! Each probably only lost me 5-10 seconds, but over five laps that adds up to several minutes!

It wasn't until the 5th and final lap that the trail ahead cleared, which unfortunately meant I wasn't catching and passing anybody. My lap times are relatively poor reading, but I finished stronger than those ahead, which is positive for the marathon/enduro races I have planned later in the year. Most importantly I had really enjoyed myself, blasting around the singletrack in the sunshine, which at the end of the day is what it is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment