Thursday 9 February 2012

S-Works Prevail Helmet

I have just received an S-Works Prevail helmet. The quality of the construction is excellent although one of the graphics was wonky until I decided to remove it altogether. The retention system is adjusted by a dial at the back and can be infinitely tuned to achieve a very comfortable fit. The padding appears to be much better quality than my previous S-Works helmet. The pads in that helmet fell to pieces as soon as you even thought about washing them. The straps are a really thin, almost ribbon like material which makes them softer and more comfortable. Although it fitted me perfectly there is no adjustment of the harness around the ears so if your ears are in an unusual position you might have difficulty! Like any helmet you should always try it before you buy.
My helmet weighs exactly 200g and you hardly notice it is there. There are giant vents running from the front to the back, looking in the mirror you can still see most of my head under the helmet so cooling (not really an issue at the moment) should be excellent. While looking in the mirror it is obvious that the helmet looks bulkier than the previous S-Works, so you do look a little like something from Mars attacks. Despite this Specialized claim that the design focused on the aerodynamic performance to reduce the drag. I haven't been able to test these claims yet but every second counts! Price is £160 which is comparable with other top end helmets.

The only question is will the colours match my team kit?

No comments:

Post a Comment