Tuesday 24 January 2012

Maxxis Beaver Tyre

This is intended by Maxxis to be a mud specific tyre. Coming in 29 x 2.0 size only, this might seem narrow but is perfect for cutting through mud. Mine weighed in at about 520g which is pretty good for a full treaded 29er tyre.

I have mainly been running this tyre on the rear paired with a Rocket Ron up front. I found it gripped to anything and everything! The tyre lets you attack a muddy climb without hesitation. In the greasy slime at Mountain Mayhem last year I was blitzing sections where other riders rear wheels were spinning wildly!

I also used it at the last round of the Brass Monkeys. It wasn’t wet or that muddy but the extra grip the tyre offered in the loose sand increased confidence and allowed me to push a little harder. I actually feel it rolls pretty well too and doesn’t feel slow despite the deepish tread.

I have also run the Beaver on the front wheel. Again it gripped well in any conditions, taking everything in its stride. However, I found it was perhaps a little narrow for my tastes up front, bouncing off roots and rocks.

Summary: Awesome tyre if grip is valued over out and out speed. Certainly a good tyre choice for muddy races, although it works just as well in any conditions. I’ve been running it tubeless since last summer and haven’t had a puncture yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment