Saturday 11 September 2021

Racing again

On Sunday I will once again strap a race number to the handlebars, at the Gorrick orgainised Brass Monkeys event. As described in my previous post I haven't raced all summer. My head is now in a better place, but is the body ready!? 

Back in April, when I registered, I foolishly entered the 6 hour distance. The intention at the time was to provide some motivation to get out and ride. Which didn't work! It's only very recently that I've got even close to the sort of time in the saddle, I considered normal previously. 

At a Brass Monkey's event pre-Covid, I'd have been aiming for the top 10. I don't feel in that sort of form now, so I've set a more realistic goal of just completing the event. After all my longest ride in the past 12 months is a 4 hour leisurely summer social with a nice long break for coffee and cake in the middle! 

So all I can hope is that my race strategy goes to plan and that I keep riding to the end of the allotted time without stopping. Strategy? What strategy I hear you ask!

Well it's pretty basic! To begin with I hope to control my excitement at the start and set off intentionally slow. Then feed and fuel myself correctly during the race, pacing myself to finish........ maybe 'strongly' is the wrong word after 6hrs, so let's say 'positively'! I take confidence that as a general rule I've traditionally been good at pacing myself over longer events. However, it's been a while, so to be honest on Sunday I'll take crawling across the line with my tongue dragging in the dirt as a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment