Wednesday 22 May 2019

2019 Southern XC Regional Championships


I’m not sure if a 6 mile family trailer bike ride is perfect preparation for a race in the afternoon. However, it was a beautiful morning and I didn’t have to leave home until after midday given the afternoon start time for the Veterans races nowadays!

Crow Hill was the scene once again for the Southern Regional MTB XC Championships. Although I drove through a couple of rain showers during my drive to the New Forest, the sun was shining when I arrived and the course was dry and extremely dusty on my exploratory warm-up lap.

There was a very large field of close to 50 Veterans at the start. Unfortunately I was gridded near the back after skipping the previous race and a DNF at the first round of the series. Through the sea of helmets I could barely see Marc Chamberlain and Paul Hopkins at the front!

At the starters whistle we screamed off around the starting loop. The start of a XC race never fails to astonish me! Even at the back the sheer brutal shock of the flat out sprint from a cold start had my legs and heart screaming for mercy! Initially I barely held my own, but then I began to fight and made up a few positions. After all the frantic sprinting 50 riders eventually had to funnel single file into the wood, almost coming to halt and then cruising through the first section of singletrack as things settled down!

Having narrowly beaten me in my most recent races sticking close to Stefano, riding for Beyond Bikes was my target. He was a couple of riders ahead in the line as we swept through the trees. As he picked off one or two places I fought to keep pace, but always a position or two behind. Then suddenly in the loose dust he lost his front wheel and was down in a shower of dirt. I squeezed past, but he was quickly up and hot on my heels.

I like the Crow Hill course, mainly because it has some decent elevation gain which plays to my strength. This year however, the route was run in reverse to previous years. This meant that the climbs were tight rooty and technical and not the usual wide open trails. So passing on them required going off line and having to squeeze through between the trees.

During the first lap the pace was relentless, but you couldn’t give an inch or the riders behind would pounce. There was a long fireroad section ¾ of the way around the lap and I tucked in to get a slipstream, trying to take the pressure of the pedals slightly and reduce the lactic in my legs.

I relaxed too much and Stefano coasted past me just as we re-entered the singletrack. I sucked onto his wheel and on the final climb to the line re-passed him again. We were both still slowly but steadily making up positions and working ourselves forward in the race. Back into the singletrack and Stef was through on the inside and I was chasing again, drifting through the loose corners and bouncing over the roots.

Half way around the lap we caught a long line of 6 riders.  It was like a convoy on a busy country A road. Slowing us down but still moving fast enough to make passing difficult. As we hit one of the narrow inclines I tried to sneak up the inside. The roots bounced me wide and into the path of Stefano, I apologised and conceded the position again as he had the momentum. Gathering myself I surged a second time up the left passing Stef and the rider ahead, but was then trapped on the outside of the next corner and with no way back into the queue had relinquish both positions.

I was frustrated and had to coast behind Stefano at the back of the crocodile for a few more bends before I could try again. This time I was in the long grass sprinting up alongside the queue of riders. My unorthodox line meant I was squeezed up against the fence. The rider in front didn’t know I was there and cut across, to avoid taking us both out I had to brake and swerve violently across the track. As I swung across the path I collected the rider next to me, our bars interlocked we rubbed shoulders both trying to shake ourselves free and maintain position.

Separated at last I chased the rest of the pack and through the next section of fast sweeping corners finally fought my way to the front of the line. This however, was only half the job, now I had to try and break clear. For the next lap I tried to create distance between myself and those behind, but every time I teased out any sort of advantage one of those behind would close it down and drag all the others with him. We continued like this for some time, until I began to fatigue from my efforts and let some riders through so I could shelter behind them in the group and try to recover.

We continued to swap positions as sections of the course played into each other strengths. Some would surge through the sweeping bends or make up ground on the descents, I’d pull back time on the climbs. Each of us fighting to hold our ground. Eventually by natural selection we began to shell riders out the back of the group one by one. Stef was still behind me, but as we started the penultimate lap he attacked and surged through. It was an intentional concerted effort to make the split and I couldn’t go with him.

I chased and chased but the gap hovered at 10-15 seconds. I was tantalizingly close but unable to bridge back to his wheel. It was now that the rain arrived. Under the trees it initially remained dry, but the open sections became treacherous and the dusty surface became a paste. I glided wide with little control through corners we’d been railing flat out a lap earlier. Riders were constantly having to test and reassess the levels of grip under their tyres at every corner or wet root. I admit that conditions like this do not play into my hands.

As we began the final lap Stef was creeping away, but there was nobody behind me now. With little to loose I put in some big efforts on the first couple of climbs and got Stef back into striking distance. Into the next descent, I threw caution to the wind, chucking the bike through the corners, when suddenly the front wheel washed out from under me and BANG! I was down in the slippery mud.
In such situations you don’t think about the pain, you just leap back on the bike and go, go, go! All you can think about is not losing time. Cursing myself I bashed the brake levers into position, amazingly everything else seemed to be pointing in the right direction!

There wasn’t enough time to close the gap to Stefano now, but still I chased, in case he made a mistake similar to my own. The nerves began to jangle slightly because I could now hear and see the rider behind. When I glanced back he was out of the saddle and in full pursuit! He closed on me towards the end, but I had enough time in hand, finishing 23rd, 30 seconds down on Stefano.

As I chatted to Stef after the race I became vaguely aware of the pain in my knee. By the time I went to bed I could only lay comfortably on one side! The final lap accident had been quite hard.

It had been a truly awesome race. One of my most enjoyable in recent memory. It had been close with battles from start to finish. The weather had mixed it up, the changing conditions definitely spicing up the final couple of laps as things went from fast to treacherous. 23rd is about par for me at the Southern Champs over the past 6 or 7 years. I consider myself a pretty competent rider, so that I can race as hard as I did and still finish 15 minutes down on the winner just shows the level of those guys at the front. I must take heart that I was mid pack in a large and very experienced and skilled Veterans field with some good riders behind me. I was around 1 minute from the top 20 which was my goal before the race. Most of all though, it was damn good fun!!



No comments:

Post a Comment