Monday 7 January 2019

Brass Monkeys 2018/19 Round 2


The winter XC race scene returned to Minley Manor on Sunday for the 2nd round of the Brass Monkeys series. Such are the variety of quality trails at Minley the course was unrecognizable to the one raced before Christmas at Round 1.  I’d estimate only a couple of hundreds meters of the 5.5 mile lap were shared with the previous event and much of that was run in reverse.


It hasn’t rained since before Christmas so the course was in perfect condition when I arrived anxious and excited at 9am. An element of my pre-race nerves was due to concern I had overtrained during the week leading up to the race.  The holiday season coupled with good weather meant I had ridden every day in the week leading up to the race, including a fairly strenuous mid week mountain bike ride. With those miles in my legs I’d felt tired and lethargic during Friday’s commute and my muscles had still been sore during a brief bike check on Saturday.

However, I’ve never identified the optimum race preparation. I’ve turned up at previous events rested and fresh, only to struggle terribly during the race. So it should have been no surprise that I felt like a million dollars on Sunday!

Following my experience at the previous round I purposefully started in the mid-field and let the pack moderate my pace on the opening loop. As we spread out I continued to slightly hold back, riding at 90%, not pushing hard out of corners or sprinting down the occasional fireroad. My aim was to save energy for later. Of course I was racing so everything is relative! I still recorded my fastest laps and clocked my highest heart rates during the first 3 laps.  It was only as the 4th lap started, an hour and a half into the race, that I consciously began to properly push on.

My pacing meant my 7th and final lap was only  a minute slower than my first full circuit. It paid off as I was able to finish strongly, passing one rider and holding off an attack from another who had beaten me at the previous round.

Lap 1: 29.15 Shorter opening lap
Lap 2: 33.16
Lap 3: 34.00
Lap 4: 33.54
Lap 5: 34.11
Lap 6: 34.47
Lap 7: 34.18

I executed my race plan perfectly on Sunday. No mistakes out on course, I felt strong and in control throughout the race and crossed the line having given it everything I had and maximized my potential. On the face of it then I was disappointed that I could put in that much effort and my performance was still not good enough to break into the top 10. (I missed out by less than 2.5 minutes) The fact is there are 11 people who were better than me on the day.

Whatever the result I enjoy the thrill of testing myself over 4hrs of close racing in superb conditions on an excellently prepared and designed course. 



No comments:

Post a Comment