Wednesday 22 April 2015

Hadleigh Park MTB Trail Center

Last time I rode at the London 2012 Olympic MTB venue I left bruised, battered and nursing two broken ribs. So as well as excellent training for this years National Championships in June, a day riding at Hadleigh Park was also an opportunity to get the monkey of that previous experience off my back.

Since that fateful day in 2013 the course has been closed while renovations were carried out in preparation for the grand opening of the new trail center to the public in a few days time. The opportunity came through the South Downs Bikes club to attend an Army Cycling Union event prior to the grand opening.  

 
The South Downs Bikes crew at Hadleigh Park


When you arrive there is now a nice large welcoming car park, and facilities including a cafe serving coffee and cakes or chips and sausages depending on your preference. Before you reach the main trails there is also a pump track and a skills area for a bit of a warm up and chance to hone your reflexes. 

The main trail still stays largely true to the course on which Yaroslav Kulhavy battled Nino Schurter for Olympic gold. Classics like 'Deans Drop', 'Triple Trouble' and 'Oak Tree Drop' are largely unchanged. Fresh sections including the side by side single track and bermed descents add to the fun of the original layout. The new all weather surface was a little sketchy during our visit, requiring a delicate drifting style through the corners rather than just leaning on the front wheel and turning in. A few months of tyres and rain should sweep the loose 'kitty litter' surface aside improving the grip levels.

The A-line 'red' sections are still a challenge for even the most skilled riders, including Olympians! Where the majority of improvements have taken place is to the B-Lines which are often now smooth and flowing. In fact some proved faster than the A-line and personally I often found them to frequently be more fun. Interest has also been added to the linking sections between the main features.

Gary rides Oak Tree Drop
After a couple of laps time had come to face my nemesis. It was at the bottom of Oak Tree Drop that my front wheel had washed out in 2013. The entry to the steep incline starts, as the name suggests, under a large Oak tree. Riders must negotiate the tree roots before hitting the bolder surfaced drop. Having watched all 5 of my colleagues swoop out of sight I was left alone with my anxiety and a lump in the pit of my stomach at the top of the hill. In truth it is far from the hardess section of the course, but my mind was ringing every internal alarm bell it could locate, trying to convince my body to sneak off down the B-line. With a deep breath I rolled towards the lip and let the front wheel float off into space. Gravity pulled it down, tugging me along after it. With a bump I reached the first bolder my speed increasing. Tensing up I didn't push my backside behind the saddle and over the rear wheel, meaning there was too much weight on my front wheel. It was too late now, I was plunging down, bouncing over the joints in the rocks, there was nothing I could do but hang on and wait for the bottom of the slope to gather me back up and slow my momentum. It was unganely and a bit sketchy but I was down and still upright! A wave of relief washed through every vein. Then it was on to the next section, Oak Tree drop had been conquered!
 
When you fall off a horse they tell you to get straight back on. It has taken me 2 years, but I can finally put my fear of Hadleigh Park behind me. Instead I can appreciate the fantastic facility that is as challenging as you decide to make it. With more than 200m climbing per lap it is a serious physical workout, as well as a chance to test your technical skills. Over the 3 miles there is very little chance for a rest, the trail constantly either heading up or down.




No comments:

Post a Comment