Wednesday 11 April 2012

Maxxis Ikon Tyre Review


I have been using the Maxxis Ikon 2.2 as a front tyre for just over a year. The tyre weighs a competitive 520g on my scales. I have the lighter weight "3C eXCeption" series, which has thinner side walls. Despite this I have been running it tubeless with no problems. Although this is tempting fate, I have only had one puncture in 12 months. While talking about tubeless set-up, the first time I tried to seat the tyre I did need a compressor but I fitted it again last week and it went up first time with the track pump. This is using my Stans Crest rims.

From the fact that I have continued to use the tyre for 12 months you will have guessed that I am a huge fan. Despite its low profile tread I found it works in a range of conditions although like any tyre of this type, dry hardpack is where it really excels. There is an amazing amount of grip from this tyre even leant over hard into a corner, and best of all this grip is consistent. It doesn't suddenly break away or try and catch you out by tucking under you. The advantage of the low profile is that it also rolls fast and the weight means they accelerate quickly too.

Over the winter I did briefly swap it out for a Rocket Ron but I am back now with the Ikon. Despite the spikey tread and larger volume of the Ron, I immediately had so much more confidence with the Ikon. Diving deeper into the corners even in less than perfect spring time conditions. Obviously in mud the low thread can become overwhelmed but mud will defeat most race tyres and usually requires something more rain specific.

Conclusion:
The perfect race tyre and more! Highly recommended, probably the best tyre I have ever ridden! (Trust me I've tried a few in my time)

No comments:

Post a Comment